Monday, May 15, 2006

Doorstep botherer

I have just had youth round my house demanding that I pay a three pound fine for not having a Betterware catalogue! She said that her boss said that she should fine me. I told her that she should send her boss round - thinking that would be the end of it.

After I closed the door, I wished I had asked to see some identification - then try and ascertain how many OAPs she had been trying to pull this one on. I thought I could have turned on my MP3 player and recorded the conversation...

Anyway, a little while later, there was another knock at the door. Somehow, even though the cheek of it was beyond comprehension, I knew it was going to be her . I grabbed my MP3 player and fumbled with it to switch it on - but I realized that five or ten seconds it would take to boot up was far longer than I could be bothered to wait. I answered the door.

She said ' I've had a word with my boss and he says he'll let you off this time - but if I come round again and you don't have your catalogue - then I will fine you three pounds.' She said, ' Would you like a catalogue?'

I said 'No thanks.' and closed the door.

5 Comments:

Blogger space adventures said...

I should have asked her identity. I posted this same message to cam.misc and the collective genius of cam.misc established that what she was doing was illegal. So I phoned the police.

The man on the phone seemed to be defensive of the collector at first, suggesting that they have to cover their costs or something. Then I expressed my concern for vulnerable citizens and said that I thought that what she was doing might be illegal. Then he said 'Yes, we get a lot of complaints of this going on...'

16/5/06 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How strange! I've never bought anything from Betterware, but they do have some intriguing labour saving devices that no one could ever conceivably need.

14/6/06 12:01 PM  
Blogger space adventures said...

Really, I love gadgets!

I managed to make a door to door salesman turn tale and run away yesterday merely by scowling at him.

Or at least i like to think it was the Abe Simpsonesque 'darn hard frowning at' I gave him. Perhaps it was something to do with me being dressed only in my underwear, having a good scratch at my arse and dribbling a little bit.

14/6/06 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betterware does not endorse that kind of behaviour. I suggest (if they work for Betterware) that you phone the national number (0845 121 1010 ) and complain. There will be only one Distributor for the area where you live. If that "scamster" doesn't work for them, at least it will warn genuine workers to watch out for her.

Betterware catalogues are free, both to customers and workers.

I find tackling crime becoming a part of my job. Over the last week I have notified two loose doors, found one set of housekeys, tackled a group of burglars, and retrieved a missing passport.

This is not an official statement of Betterware.

22/8/06 1:49 PM  
Blogger space adventures said...

You are a good egg, Robin, and thanks for your comment. Thanks also for joining my 'random and twisted' discussion at randomandtwisted.org. That brings the grand total of contributors over there to three, not counting the twenty or so phentermine traders and other spammers.

24/8/06 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home