Friday, April 21, 2006

One Flew Easter

Easter for me was a few snatched hours up in Scotland with my nearest and dearest. I was told I had to work Easter Saturday, so instead of having a more sedate drive up on Good Friday, we flew up after I finished work on Saturday.

We wanted to get to Grangemouth in good time for my girlfriend's brother's surprise birthday party at Grangemouth Golf Club. We missed the surprise bagpipe tribute that welcomed his arrival, but got there in time for the food. So that was alright then. I sat down and felt like a complete mood hoover for an hour or two. Then, feeling like there was nothing else for it, got up and danced like - er well - I danced the rest of the night away. Apparently someone later commented 'Ben looked like he was enjoying himself'. I was. How much of a twat I looked, I can only guess at. Happy Birthday Stuart. Thanks to Irene for a great night - and for the vegan food!

After about twenty-two hours non-stop madness on Easter Saturday, I wasn't up to much more than a quiet day with my parents on Easter Day. We had the traditional Easter egg hunt. I fell asleep. On Easter Monday some of us went for a walk along a nearby stretch of river. I slept a lot. In the evening we all watched 'Catch Me If You Can' with Leonardo di Caprio, Tom Hanks and Christopher Walken. The story of this film is largely based on a father-son relationship. It reminded me of 'The Life Aquatic' which I gave to my dad as a Christmas present. I don't know if he has seen it yet. Every time I ask him, he says 'Bill Murray? That should be a good film...'.

On Tuesday morning I slept late. On our way to the airport, we had lunch with my parents at 'The Powfoulis Manor' - a huge, empty, hotel type place near the Kincardine Bridge. It was slightly disconcerting being the only diners (we only saw two other people, both members of staff) in such a huge place. Even though the food, service and prices were faultless (they went out of their way preparing vegan food for me), I didn't feel very cheered when we waved goodbye in the car park.

There just is never enough time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww, asking your dad if he has seen the film yet, and his subsequent reply, is soooo, dunno; telling, revealing, sad and yet happy, dad and child like.
Glad you had a happy Easter and good vegan food.

22/4/06 11:09 PM  
Blogger space adventures said...

Thanks ida - yeah, it was a good Easter!

23/4/06 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was some crazy shooting/murder spree in Grangemouth recently, that wasn't you was it? I was trying to describe Grangemouth to my (foreign) boyf and said that I really didn't think anyone actually lived there. Clearly I am wrong! It looks fantastic at night. I once heard a guy on a bus claiming that Schwarzenegger wanted to film Terminator 3 there. I'm not sure I believe that.

25/4/06 1:06 PM  
Blogger space adventures said...

Grangemouth is the civilized part of Falkirk district. It has cultural links - The Cocteau Twins no less!

Grangemouth Golf Course has about the best view of the refinery and chemicals plants there is.

In a jovial mood when we left the party, I said to one boy, 'Look! They put on a fantastic light display for us!'.

'Yippee' came the reply, somewhat below 'dry' on the comment humidity meter for someone so young, I thought.

25/4/06 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home