Saturday, February 25, 2006

1972

A few days before my sixth birthday we moved from Crowthorne in Berkshire to Penarth in South Wales.

Whether these are real memories or stuff I think I remember but don't at all but my mind has coloured in some stories I've been told - or it is just stuff I made up I don't know.

It was late Autumn, wintery and dark. When we got to the new house half the downstairs floors were missing - and bizarely half the stairs too. I imagine half or all of the light bulbs were missing - but I don't know for sure. I think my parents went out and bought us chips for dinner. This would have been a good thing.

Even better things to be discovered were:-

1)A old style gramaphone with a bakelite horn thing and, wind up handle and chest full of 72rpm records.
2)A big, heavy safe - like the Ant Hill Mob would make off with.
3)A stone trough in the middle of the back garden that weighed about a ton. Some years later my father moved it about twenty feet so that it would collect water from the roof of the garage. I think his method may have been inspired by speculation about the origins of Stonehenge.

1 Comments:

Blogger space adventures said...

I always suspected you were in with the Scottish Mafia, Kellie!

when my parents moved to Scotland we found some skeletons in an attic over one of the outbuildings. Cat skeletons. With feeding bowls nearby. I think the previous owners encouraged a large feral cat population by feeding them. Perhaps when they left they decided that they couldn't bear for the cats to live without them and fed them poison. They were faith healers(!). There were also bin bags full of spectacles and crutches etc. One can only hope that the 'healed' managed to get home ok.

28/2/06 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home